News:

Welcome to the North Reading Engineering Forum!  Please note that you must sign up and become a member to post or join a discussion.

Main Menu

JBL-100 Cabinet redo

Started by nre_admin, Aug 06, 2023, 07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nre_admin

I have a pair of L-100 cabinets that require attention.  The cabinets are good, no water damage, veneer is clean on all sides, even the bottoms.  The baffle on early L-100s was sanded and finished in matte black, with a recessed seam.  These were later models, a cost reduction where the baffle was inserted into the assembled cabinet front, the seam filled and the baffle painted without any finishing steps.  The seams were tight and the filler falls out.

With a course paper and sanding block, went after the first cabinet, breaking down the baffle finish to prepare it for paint.  Dug out the factory filler in the locations where it was loose and refilled the gaps using yellow, sandable wood glue mixed with MDF "flour" sourced from under the table saw.  I also was able to remove the Aluminum foil decal without creasing it using a heat gun and stainless-steel shim stock.

Starting with first enclosure:

JBL_1.jpg
JBL_2.jpg

Filler:
JBL_3.jpg
JBL_4.jpg

Sanded:
JBL_5.jpg
JBL_6.jpg

Ready for paint:
JBL_7.jpg
JBL_8.jpg

Lock miter joints, nice:
JBL_9.jpg

nre_admin

I completed the baffles and re-oiled the veneer using a solution of 1/4 turpentine + 3/4 boiled linseed oil mixture similar to the factory process.

I've removed the foilcal and will re-attach it using a sheet of double sided adhesive from 3M.  I've masked the area where the foilcal is attached and prepped it with 800 grit emery paper.  This will ensure the adhesive has a smooth surface to bond to.

IMG_20230819_124457567.jpg

JBL_prep_1.jpg

JBL_prep_2.jpg

nre_admin

Here's what I plan on using to re-apply the foilcal.

71SwVlC6zOL._SL1500_.jpg

I also purchased a hard rubber roller to assist with the application process.

nre_admin

The foil-cal was removed using a heat gun and very thin stainless steel shim (about 0.010"thk).  The double-sided adhesive is then applied to one side and trimmed.

nre_admin

The adhesive sheet is very, very sticky and you've got one shot at it.  The roller can be used to "iron out" minor imperfections in the foil, the result is quite acceptable.

nre_admin

Completed the baffle rework on the Century.  Both the Century and the L-100 were re-oiled, the L-100 baffle was fine.

The Century required new fiberglass lining.  The cabinets are as good as new-make.  Now to install the drivers.